More Than 30


I have been enjoying reading about other Art Journalers on this site. And then, Connie offered an opportunity for anyone to add their own interview and art images. So, without further ado, here is mine:





* How long have you been Art Journaling?
I started scrapbooking when my daughter was born 10 years ago. It was my artistic outlet, creative moment, and journaling all in one. In November 2009, I found a copy of 1000 Art Journal at the book store. I was hooked. Obsessed. Then, I found an online class for making a journal. I haven't stopped since. Making the journals is fun. Making pages is a little daunting, but I am getting better. I even have pre-prepped pages!

* How has Art Journaling impacted, changed, or enhanced your life?

Art Journaling has made me realize that it is okay to make things for myself. I always felt selfish if I wanted to keep something I made. I should be using the finished product to make money for the household. I spent so many years making scrapbook pages and altered albums to sell, that not having a monetary goal was a little hard to work around. Now, I go to my Art Studio and I create just for me. The other impact of Art Journaling for me is that I actually stop and acknowledge a feeling or thought. I don't just push it away to sit and stew for later. I have epiphanies about myself. It is a lot like doing yoga. It's a time for inner reflection and self preservation. I love that!

* What are a few of your favorite Art Journaling materials?
I am still experimenting to find my favorites. I have played with acrylic, watercolor, pens, sharpies, colored pencils, watercolor crayons and pencils, and charcoal. After taking a journaling class from Julie Prichard, I am really starting to like acrylic backgrounds. However, I really like how fast I can get a background with great texture by using watercolor. I still want to try ink pads for backgrounds. Charcoal pencils for shading and pop are probably my favorite drawing tool, with Sharpie Fine Tip markers being second. Who am I kidding. I love all art supplies and really couldn't give up a single one :)

* Who are some of your favorite Art Journalers?
I love so many different images that I have come across. There are a few that I am starting to recognize their style, and it pulls me in everytime. I enjoy Danny Greggory's work. Pam Carriker's shades of grey work. Julie Prichard for her style and teaching ablilities. The pages that are dog eared in my Art Journal Magazine: Debbie Shannon, Kate Crane, Aimee Dolich, and Nancy Lefko. I think this list could keep going, but that's a start.

* What kind words of encouragement would you say to an Art Journal newbie?
Art Journals are for playing and experimenting. I have had to keep telling myself that each one does not have to be a finished piece of work. Find your own style by doing things that work for you and that make your heart smile. If you have to work at a technique or a style, it probably isn't for you. Do what comes naturally.

* Where can we contact you...give us some link LOVE!!
Blog: http://www.intrinsicart.blogspot.com

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Intrinsic-Art/216776689539

Twitter: http://twitter.com/intrinsicart

Etsy: http://www.intrinsicart.etsy.com

* Short Bio.
I am a mother of 2, wife, art teacher, and artist. My family and I live in a tiny (less than 800) town. The internet is my connection with other people who have similar interests. I feel me education in Art is limited. I am the type who likes to know as much about something as I possibly can. I have been making or creating something as long as I can remember. It might not have been pretty, or functional, but I had fun doing it. When something catches my interest, I become obsessed. I am a life long learner and am so happy when I have a fresh pile of books and magazines to dig through. Google is my best friend *wink*

3 comments: